Page 136 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,080 of 4331
    Senior Member All-Star canuckthug's Avatar
    Santos looked real good today. He was put in a tough spot with 2 RISP, a 3-1 ball game and he took care of good hitters in Youkilis and Ortiz to get his 1st save.

-Romero was efficient, lots of low pitch innings.
    -Lawrie is arguably the fastest jay to run down the 1st base line i can remember. That kid is all hustle and heart.
    -Bautista will turn things around. His attitude and mechanics are too great not to.
    -JP Arencibia is making Aaron Hill's low .200 average look good right now. I guess as long as JP brings the power numbers, it won't matter but its still early.

Senior Member All-Star phaneuf6's Avatar
    Dude it's 6 games in, let's discuss averages and "turning things around" in a couple months.

I thought they were fair observations.

JP Arencibia is .220 hitter. He's hitting .105 in 19 ABs this year so far. Give him a chance to at least enlarge the sample size a bit first before criticizing it. Two of his hits have also been game winning hits as well, let's not forget that if we're analyzing him.

Bautista has seen a lot of tough pitches. Remember now this year he's proven and teams aren't going to give him a lot to hit. Let him figure it out first, again only 20 ABs and 5 games in.

Sure, but 919 wasn't being negative or dramatic...he certainly wasn't wrong. (he even said himself it is still early Re: JP)

Informative Asshole Hall of Famer
    I really don't think Bautista does well this year. With that said I think the team does better as a whole.
    12 Team H2H PPR Keeper Money League

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    JP will never hit for AVG, but he will put up nice HR and RBI numbers.

Love the way EE has started at the plate.

Davis is a beast once he gets on base.

I wonder who made the call to steal home with the bases loaded, 2 outs, and Bautista at the plate. Real bizarre.

Farrell siad after the game that it was a "major base running mistake" by Lawrie.
    Last edited by two24four; 04-14-2012 at 08:14 PM.

The Blue Jays turned a triple play in the 3rd... missed it watching playoff hockey. The last time they did that was 1979, (4th time in club history). Kyle Drabek on the mound who pitched a 3rd good game. (5.1 IP today but had 5 k's ) GO JAYS.

It's the 1st one since 1992 IMO, we all know Gruber got Sanders in the WS that year.

The Jays fought hard for this win coming back from a 5-0 deficit. You gotta take advantage of Texas when they don`t have Hamilton and Beltre in the lineup and they did just that. Nice walk-off for Lawrie!!

It was a nice win, but yet another blown save for this team.

I would like to see Lawrie moved up to leadoff, EE bat 4th, Escobar 5th, Lind 6th.

Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    It was a nice win, but yet another blown save for this team.
    Santos on the DL is a big reason for that. Francisco is only the set-up guy.

Quote Originally Posted by nineoneone View Post
    Santos on the DL is a big reason for that. Francisco is only the set-up guy.
    But this is why they got Francisco if Santos went down. Francisco also has over 300 saves so it's not new to him.

This team blew a league high 25 saves last season, they already have 6 or 7 this season.

The 8/9th inning guys this year have been brutal.

Escobar should be batting 9th. The guy's a DP machine and a rally killer.

Escobar is not a leadoff hitter that is for sure. I would put him in the middle.

I see they have Johnson leadoff today with Escobar 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Escobar is not a leadoff hitter that is for sure. I would put him in the middle.

I see they have Johnson leadoff today with Escobar 2nd.
    Heading down to the game shortly. Hoping it's not one of the games there's no alcohol being served at.. although it'd save me a small fortune if it was. Go Jays Go.

All I could think of while watching Lawrie jump into the fray at home plate after his homer was Kendry Morales ankle breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by nineoneone View Post
    Santos on the DL is a big reason for that.
    He was blowing saves when he was healthy, too.

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard View Post
    He was blowing saves when he was healthy, too.
    This is true but he has converted on his last 2 save opportunities. Santos has good stuff. He really hasn`t had a chance to get into the groove this season. He also missed time off because he had a new baby and missed 2 or 3 games.

But this is why they got Francisco if Santos went down.
    They signed him to work the 8th. Sure, Francisco Cordero has 300 saves but he is not effective or reliable to collect 3 outs over 1 innings anymore. He needs to be relegated to a specialty role, facing 1 or 2 batters max. Hes old and does not have the pedigree of a Mariano Rivera. I guess hes an alright fill in guy but i would not have high expectations for him.

Heading down to the game shortly. Hoping it's not one of the games there's no alcohol being served at.. although it'd save me a small fortune if it was. Go Jays Go.
    haha, you might be out of luck because it was `school day` (which im sure you were aware of) at the Ball Park today . How much does a cold one cost these days? I think it was $8 or $9 two seasons ago. And good call on moving Escobar away from leadoff!!

Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    All I could think of while watching Lawrie jump into the fray at home plate after his homer was Kendry Morales ankle breaking.
    Yeah, i think the same thing everytime Ovechkin celebrates a goal.

Another good win for the Jays today. Edwin Encarnacion has been unreal so far. He was ranked 3rd overall in yahoo leagues a few days ago only behind Kemp and Hamilton. Edwin usually gets off to a slow start but obviously not this year. Speaking of slow starts, Bautista had a very similar start in April the year he hit 50+ HR`s.. ...

I was going to go today because I like afternoon games but realized it was School Day and said "fuck that".

Good crowd at the game, although I'm leaning towards keyboard's "fuck that" attitude towards School Day.

Romero was good in patches, had that one bad (6th?) inning but otherwise he wasn't bad. Edwin has been great to start the year.

God damn though, they'd get better crowds if they lowered the prices at that place. 9.75 for a tallboy of Bud, crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    God damn though, they'd get better crowds if they lowered the prices at that place. 9.75 for a tallboy of Bud, crazy.
    I don't think beer prices are the problem. Actually, those ridiculous beer prices might be the only thing that keep families coming to the games. You decrease those prices you get more beer drinking dumbasses.

ANAHEIM-The Blue Jays, following a successful homestand, with four wins in six games against the Mariners and the powerful Rangers, flew to California following Wednesday's 11-5 win vs. Texas to begin a 10-game, 11-day road trip to Anaheim, Oakland and Minnesota.
    The Jays' offence is starting to click behind its new breakout star, Edwin Encarnacion, while the starting pitching continues to be solid, going deep into games, day-in and day-out.
    It was a major chest-thumping step up for the club to bounce back with two straight wins vs. the Rangers after the impressive Japanese rookie Yu Darvish had dazzled them in the series opener on Monday. The Rangers remain confident. The Jays are the ones that needed the boost. It was a happy flight to the West Coast for the Jays following the game.
    Upon arrival, there was an interesting juxtaposition of duelling celebrations with the Angels and with the Jays later on Wednesday night.
    While Ricky Romero and 10 of his Jays teammates gathered at Casa Romero, the home of his parents, for a home-cooked meal from Ricky's mom twitpic.com/9gmcyz in a nice bonding experience, at the same time the Angels and their fans were being re-energized at the Big A by a no-hitter being spun against the Twins by ace righthander Jered Weaver.
    The Angels definitely needed the timely boost in morale provided by the 9-0 Weaver no-no, even though Albert Pujols continued his longball drought. The good news, a small blessing at best, is that Pujols hit three line drives and it looks like he's getting closer to finding the seats in fair territory. Tough to see that as light at the end of the tunnel when the Pujols tunnel cost 10-years and $240 million. Nevertheless, the no-hitter was the focus du jour.
    As for the Jays celebration, it's just another example of the genuine closeness of this Jays roster that is remarkable when I consider some of the other 25-players, 25-cabs clubhouse mentalities that I have witnessed in my 40 seasons of being around major-league baseball on a professional basis, since '73.
    The Romero family makes this team-meal thing a tradition, even whipping up tasty Mexican treats for the boys whenever they visit their son in Dunedin for a week or two during spring training. But what makes the photo that @RickyRo24 himself tweeted, what makes it special are small details like the serious-looking 21-year-old starter Drew Hutchison, with the team for two weeks, but invited along with the others, sitting at the Romero's kitchen table still wearing the tie and jacket that he had worn on the flight from Toronto earlier in the day. That's a show of respect by Hutchison and that's team-building by the leader of the rotation, Romero.
    As for Weaver and the Angels, they have now won three games in a row and are on their first mini-roll of the 2012 season. Don't count them out.
    I arrived at my hotel across from the stadium in time to watch the final three innings on TV and, after it was over, the fans that streamed out of the ballpark were all upbeat and celebratory. At the popular Catch restaurant and bar within solid two-iron distance of the ballpark, not one mention was made of the Pujols slump, instead it was all high-fives and smiles, all about the local kid, Weaver, who had signed an extension this winter to stay with Anaheim at a home-team discount. His parents were there in the stands and it was a nice scene, with Jered hugging his mom and dad again and again on the field.
    The season is young and the Angels, with Weaver, Dan Haren, C.J. Wilson, Ervin Santana and fifth starter Jerome Williams in their rotation, will still be a factor. The Jays are in tough as they always are when they come to California.

Blue Jays have signed Vladdy to a minor league deal.

Senior Member Third Liner
    Hopefully Morrow's injury isn't too serious - just wondering though if someone could explain to me how wins/losses are assigned in baseball? I had always assumed that it was like hockey where if you allow the game winning goal (or if you're on the ice for the game winning goal) that you get the loss (/win). I see here though that Morrow was given the loss, despite only being charged with the first run of the game (and the Jays ended up scoring a three runs, so clearly my initial understanding of the rules is wrong)

The Blue Jays would have had to at least come back to tie the game last night for Morrow not to get the loss, which they never did.

If a pitcher leaves the game down a run or more, then he's on the hook till his team can tie or take the lead, not matter what inning it is. But for a starting pitcher to get the win, he has to pitch at least 5 full innings and leave with the lead.

Vladdy asked the Blue Jays to let him go, so they did.

Senior Member Third Liner
    Thanks for the clarification!
    And that's too bad - I was hoping to see him suit up as a Jay. But at least we let him go instead of making him sit in the minors if we aren't calling him up

Thread Information